THE REGIONAL health authority in Valencia has announced a new scheme for obtaining healthcare. Under its Convenio Especial - a scheme that is part of wide ranging reforms to the health system – British residents without access to state healthcare now have the opportunity to join the new Spanish health insurance scheme.
Martyn Standing of the healthcare team at the British Consulate in Alicante said: "This is great news. It means almost everyone who currently lacks the right to state healthcare can now get themselves covered.
We would urge people who are in need of health cover to sign-up. Waiting until you’re ill before you sort out access to a doctor can easily result in an unwelcome bill.”
Requirements of the Scheme:
- You must be able to prove actual residence in Spain for a minimum continuous period of one year immediately preceding the date of application - this is normally proven through being registered on the padrón;
- The amount of the fees payable is 60 Euros a month for working-age people, while those over 65 will have to pay 157 Euros per month via direct debit. Children must also be paid for in their own right as they are not included as dependants;
- People with pre-existing conditions can join – this insurance scheme gives full access to the state healthcare system;
- You do not have the right to healthcare through other means - e.g. as a state pensioner;
- Pharmacy costs are additional – you must pay 100% of the cost of any prescriptions. However medications given whilst someone is in hospital are free;
- All applications must be made in writing to the Regional Health Authority – people cannot apply through their health centre.
Click here for more information on the Valencian Government website